Sustainable Food, Materials and Energy Lifecycles
Serve the City Brussels projects are community projects. As an organisation, we support several Sustainable Development Goals. In the context of the Sustainable Lifecycles project, we invite you to join us in the global endeavour to protect the environment, act as a community and think about socio-economic and eco-friendly business models.
Since September 2019, Serve the City Brussels has begun investigating ways to reduce food and materials waste in its projects and to operate in a more energy-efficient manner. We wish to change our internal procurement policy to ensure we use fair trade and eco-friendly products and we want to induce change also in the relation with our partners (numerous Brussels-based NGOs that help people in need) and clients (companies and public institutions for which we organise team building events).
In the context of the Sustainable Food, Materials and Energy Lifecycles project and its two subprojects Recycle With Us and Energy Efficiency and Saving Hints, we reach out to citizens, public institutions and companies. Our goal is to contribute to the circular economy in Brussels by raising awareness about better recycling practices and energy efficient behaviour.
Recycle With Us
- Surveying residents of Brussels and tourists about their knowledge of and attitude towards Brussels’ recycling rules
- Educational awareness-raising
- Identified and implemented a new waste reduction strategy for Breakfast for Refugees at Parc Maximilien
Energy Efficiency and Saving Hints
Educational awareness-raising on energy efficiency and energy saving tips during the holiday period (city centre)
- Evaluation of Serve the City food projects and internal procurement processes
- Implementation of better green practices
- Reach out to project partners to assess needs, obstacles and opportunities for better collaboration using a circular economy approach
Gemma’s tree planting project 2019
Do you want to help us to improve our projects and other citizens to live more sustainably?
Please participate in our e-Survey on Energy, Eco-Products and Recycling Habits
Did you know?
Our team questioned 110 people in the centre of Brussels. All of them said that recycling is important for the environment, but only two thirds said they were aware of the recycling rules of Brussels.
Previous Big Volunteer Days
- 01/02/2020: Environmental awareness raising at Parc Maximilien, survey conduction and green product screening
- 07/12/2019: Survey conduction and educational awareness-raising (recycling & energy saving tips for the holidays)
- 09/11/2019: Environmental assessment of food project and survey conduction
- 12/10/2019: Environmental assessment of food project and city clean up action
Online Green Brainstorming (12:20-13:00)
Join the monthly green brainstorming session for project development, educational strategizing and writing funding proposals.
- August/2020: Logistics of food delivery to reduce food waste
- September/2020: Investigating electricity providers and smart electric meters for household and corporate use
- October/2020: Bio- & Fair Trade Product Procurement
Join us. Make a difference!
Do you wish to join during the Big Volunteer Day or Green Brainstorming?
Would you like to collaborate with us in a funded project?
Do you want us to organise your next team building event?